Technology Education New Zealand (TENZ) is a non profit professional association supporting and promoting all levels and areas of technology education in New Zealand.
TENZ is organised by teachers for teachers and our aim is to enhance the learning and teaching of technology by creating a well informed, well connected, supportive, and sustainable professional community that has a strong voice and provides effective advocacy for technology education.
To achieve our aims, we need the support of as many teachers as possible. So join us, and help grow and strengthen our national network supporting and promoting technology education across New Zealand.
News and Information
The TENZ National Biennial Conference is coming to Te Papa, 11-13 October, 2021.
Join us for two and half days of inspiration and networking as we bring you the latest innovations in technology education. Listen to current innovators and leading technology educators, hear about the latest research, attend hands-on workshops, explore the treasures of Te Papa and expand your kete with like minded educators from across New Zealand.
With Nex funding, this conference is the lowest price we have ever had, so bring all your colleagues.
Hot off the press!
Extension to the TENZ Techweek 21 Design Competition Deadline
new deadline end of Term 2
Friday 9th July
Why are we extending the deadline?
Amazing news just in - we may have the chance not only to get the Speaker of the House Rt.Hon. Trevor Mallard to view the entries but we may have the chance to get Prime Minister Jacinda Adern to view as well... We thought that deserves some more time for students 🙂
We have had some amazing entries so far... keep them coming in.
The Music & Digital Technologies conference is now open for registration.
2020 Prime Minister’s Science Teacher Prize Winner
We are delighted to congratulate Sarah Washbrooke on winning the 2020 Prime Minister’s Science Teacher Prize.
Sarah is a highly valued member of her school and also the wider Wakatipu community, bringing her expertise in the Technology Curriculum to the forefront. She has taught technology for the past 23 years, 17 of those being in New Zealand.
She has taught at Remarkables Primary School in Queenstown since 2016 as their technology specialist teacher, supporting the development of students within the world of science and technology. Her key focus is the Year 6 – 8 age group.
Sarah is a member of the TENZ Council and in 2019, she received the TENZ Outstanding Technology Teacher Award for continued excellence in Technology teaching.
You can read more about Sarah's award here.
Support Technology Education
TENZ welcomes support for all aspects of technology education.
By supporting technology education, you will help more students enjoy, and benefit from, effective learning in technology, and see the opportunities of a career in technology. With your assistance, students of all ages can become as excited and passionate about the subject as you are, leading to a more technologically informed society and contributing to a workforce of innovative, creative, independent, lateral thinkers who are both leaders and team players.
Your support could be local, regional or national. It could be focused at early childhood, primary, secondary, or tertiary levels for teachers and/or students.
Types of Support
There is a wide range of ways to support technology education. These could include:
- Working with students or teachers in a class, school, cluster of schools, region or nationally
- Providing free or discounted resources or materials
- Developing teaching materials
- Providing industry visits
- Providing experts and expertise (by in-person visit, phone call, email, Skype call, etc.)
- Being a guest speaker at a school or specially organised event
- Being a judge for projects
- Supporting students in their design and manufacture of products
- Providing technical support for the use of tools and equipment.
- Sponsoring awards for individual, class, school, region, or national project(s)
- Sponsoring students to continue with further study
Suppliers and Contacts
TENZ is developing web-based information about suppliers and contacts. We are keen for this to develop into the go-to website for all teachers of technology.
Would you like to have your company, service, products, contact details, .... added to this site?
Sponsors and Advertisers
We are keen to hear from sponsors who want to advertise to our members about offers and discounts for students and/or teachers that we can include in our newsletters.
Every two years TENZ holds a national conference which provides opportunities for providers to showcase their products and support technology education.
Sponsorship and advertising opportunities include:
- Sponsorship that will be strongly promoted throughout the conference
- Trade displays
- TENZ awards (formally announced at the conference dinner)
- Conference gifts and prizes
- Sponsorship of conference bags, inserts or giveaways
- Sponsorship of conference catering (morning teas, afternoon teas, lunch, conference dinner, conference welcome)
- Sponsorship to enable a teacher to attend the conference (This could include a teacher from a specific field, a remote region or a NZ region recently affected by hardship – such as floods, drought, earthquakes, etc.)
- Sponsorship to enable a Matanga (expert) to travel to run a workshop at the conference
- Sponsorship of early childhood, primary or secondary school student(s) to present their exemplary work
- Sponsorship of best paper award for an international researcher, NZ researcher, NZ masters research student, NZ doctoral research student, international doctoral research student, or for the best paper in a particular field
If you are keen to support technology education in any way please contact us.