Technology Education New Zealand (TENZ) is a professional, collaborative network for supporting teachers in New Zealand.
We promote and support all levels of technology education - from ECE through to tertiary, across all learning areas within technology.
Join TENZ to be a part of a national network promoting and supporting technology education across New Zealand, TENZ member forums coming soon
News and Information
TENZ 2020 Techo Challenge
Ready for a HANDS ON authentic & creative learning experience for your students to take part in during the COVID-19 lockdown? Encourage your learners to take part in the TENZ 2020 Techno Challenge! We are proud to present this nationwide competition for Years 1 to 10, encouraging tamariki to innovate at home through the Technology curriculum.
TESAC Best Practice Advice for Re-Entry to Specialist Spaces
Level 2 lockdown sees us returning into our specialist teaching spaces. There is plenty of anxiety for people around this return and rightly so as we all have concerns for the health and wellbeing of ourselves, our whanau and for our students and colleagues. Read TESAC's advice for returning to specialist spaces ...
12 May Covid-19 Level 2 Members Notice
By now most of our members will have seen, heard or read the latest details regarding the move from Level 3 to 2. If not, you can find the MoE Covid-19 Bulletins in this notice.
Many members have questions about Technology spaces in the Level 2 lockdown. Ministry guidelines for using these specialist spaces, and other issues, are also in this notice.
NCEA Subject Feedback Extended
The Ministry of Education has extended the deadline for feedback on their Provisional Subject list for NCEA Level One to the 20th of June. You can read the proposed list and provide feedback here: https://consultation.education.govt.nz/ncea/ras-provisional-subject-list/consultation/intro/
After concerns emerging from discussions with members and the Ministry, TENZ believes this list requires a strong, united response from technology teachers. If you are yet to write a submission, TENZ suggests you consider emphasising the following two points:
Support Technology Education
TENZ welcomes support for all aspects of technology education.
By supporting technology education, you will help more students enjoy, and benefit from, effective learning in technology, and see the opportunities of a career in technology. With your assistance, students of all ages can become as excited and passionate about the subject as you are, leading to a more technologically informed society and contributing to a workforce of innovative, creative, independent, lateral thinkers who are both leaders and team players.
Your support could be local, regional or national. It could be focused at early childhood, primary, secondary, or tertiary levels for teachers and/or students.
Types of Support
There is a wide range of ways to support technology education. These could include:
- Working with students or teachers in a class, school, cluster of schools, region or nationally
- Providing free or discounted resources or materials
- Developing teaching materials
- Providing industry visits
- Providing experts and expertise (by in-person visit, phone call, email, Skype call, etc.)
- Being a guest speaker at a school or specially organised event
- Being a judge for projects
- Supporting students in their design and manufacture of products
- Providing technical support for the use of tools and equipment.
- Sponsoring awards for individual, class, school, region, or national project(s)
- Sponsoring students to continue with further study
Suppliers and Contacts
TENZ is developing web-based information about suppliers and contacts. We are keen for this to develop into the go-to website for all teachers of technology.
Would you like to have your company, service, products, contact details, .... added to this site?
Sponsors and Advertisers
We are keen to hear from sponsors who want to advertise to our members about offers and discounts for students and/or teachers that we can include in our newsletters.
Every two years TENZ holds a national conference which provides opportunities for providers to showcase their products and support technology education.
Sponsorship and advertising opportunities include:
- Sponsorship that will be strongly promoted throughout the conference
- Trade displays
- TENZ awards (formally announced at the conference dinner)
- Conference gifts and prizes
- Sponsorship of conference bags, inserts or giveaways
- Sponsorship of conference catering (morning teas, afternoon teas, lunch, conference dinner, conference welcome)
- Sponsorship to enable a teacher to attend the conference (This could include a teacher from a specific field, a remote region or a NZ region recently affected by hardship – such as floods, drought, earthquakes, etc.)
- Sponsorship to enable a Matanga (expert) to travel to run a workshop at the conference
- Sponsorship of early childhood, primary or secondary school student(s) to present their exemplary work
- Sponsorship of best paper award for an international researcher, NZ researcher, NZ masters research student, NZ doctoral research student, international doctoral research student, or for the best paper in a particular field
If you are keen to support technology education in any way please contact us.